Oakwood Wrongful Death Lawyer

As Seen On:
Access Wdun logo
CNN logo
11 Alive
NBC News logo
WSB TV Atlanta logo
The Atlanta Journal Constitution logo

If a person’s negligence led to a loved one’s death, surviving family members likely feel lost or confused. Not only do they have to learn to live without their loved one, but they also know that the decedent’s death was avoidable. If the person you lost was the main source of income in your family, and a caring personal injury attorney at Smith Hulsey could help you recover your financial losses.

You could sue the liable party for the value of the decedent’s life and extra expenses such as funeral costs, medical bills, and loss of companionship. While money will never bring back the person you love, compensation could help you get your family’s life back on track. Call a seasoned and understanding Oakwood wrongful death lawyer today.

What is a Wrongful Death Case?

The Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 51-4-1 states that families can file a legal action for the total value of their family member’s life. An Oakwood fatal accident attorney could calculate this value and include funeral expenses, medical bills, insurance policies, and other damages the family suffers because of their loss.

The statute further states that a family may sue if a homicide or other crime, such as negligence, caused a death. Certain cases that may lead to a fatal injury claim include:

A knowledgeable attorney at Smith Hulsey could help a claiming family member determine which of these events led to their loved one’s passing.

Filing a Fatal Accident Claim in Oakwood

There are several different types of people who may file a claim like this. The widow or widower has the first right to sue after a fatal accident. If compensation is awarded when a surviving spouse files, the court splits the settlement equally between the spouse and children. Surviving children may file a legal action with the court if there is no spouse or if the spouse chooses not to sue.

If there is not a spouse or children, the deceased’s parents have the right to file. If the decedent’s parents are no longer married, the court will split the compensation evenly between them. In cases of an absent parent, the court will divide the settlement at their discretion.

If there is no surviving spouse, children, or parents, the decedent’s estate can file a lawsuit on behalf of the next of kin. A seasoned deadly injury attorney in Oakwood could answer questions and help their client with the estate and file legal action.

Schedule a Consultation with an Oakwood Wrongful Death Attorney Today

Wrongful death cases are complex and require a great deal of knowledge in civil court and litigation. A compassionate Oakwood wrongful death lawyer understands what you are going through and could work to seek the justice and maximum amount of compensation you deserve for your loss. Call Smith Hulsey today to learn more about your legal options.

Smith Hulsey Law

Smith Hulsey Law